2018 Direct Care Workers Conference
Click HERE to register for a day of learning and celebrating direct care workers.
Click HERE for more information about the conference including a full schedule of workshops.
Join us on April 17, 2018 for the 21th annual FREE training for direct care workers. This year's theme is "I Am the Link: Coming Together to Support Aging in Place/Aging with Dignity."
As the region's only free day of training for direct care workers, attendees will participate in interactive workshops to build professional and personal skills, demonstrations to develop techniques, and networking opportunities to share experiences with fellow caregivers. Additionally, they will have an opportunity to learn about some of the best resources our community has to offer. Participants receive breakfast, lunch, a gift card for completing the day, and chances to win great door prizes.
This conference is for you if you are a:
- Certified Nursing Assistant or Nursing Assistant
- Home Health Aide
- Home Care Aide
- Personal Care Assistant
- Activity Assistant or Activity Director
- Senior Companion
- Paid or unpaid workers who assist older adults
- Manager or supervisor of direct care workers
Frontline Workers' Track includes workshops such as:
- What to Do When Life Happens -It’s hard to provide care when your life mirrors a soap opera. Learn how to maintain top notch care for clients in the face of personal challenges.
- Breaking Walls and Building Bridges - Those first few minutes can make or break client and coworker relationships. Maximize your chance of success through communication and boundary setting strategies
- What About Me?: Sharing Concerns with Management - The way you share a concern about a client or caregiver can impact how management listens. Develop strategies that will increase your chance of being heard.
- Seeking Common Ground: When Your Client is Different than You - We live in one of the most diverse counties in the country. Experts on aging, LBGT, and direct care share their insights on how to work with diverse clients.
- How to Deal with Losing a Client - Even if it’s part of the job, saying goodbye to a client often isn’t easy. Develop coping strategies that can reduce your chances of burnout when it’s time to say goodbye.
- Secrets from the Top - Ever wonder what top agency owners look for in an employee? An agency owner shares tips and tricks for developing your personal skills to get you noticed for promotions or new opportunities.
Managers' Track includes sessions on:
- Keeping Good Talent - Starting an employee recognition program is a great way to recognize and keep good talent. This session will discuss what an employee recognition program can do for your organization.
- Can’t We All Just Get Along? - Many managers and supervisors say that people are the most rewarding and challenging aspects of their jobs. Managing different personalities is tough; this session will explore ways to reduce and deescalate employee conflict.
For more information, contact Tammy Mermelstein, Program Director, at 713-595-8178 or email@example.com.
Conference Sponsorship Available
Get recognized for showing your commitment to a professional, well-trained direct care workforce. Conference sponsorship opportunities start at $100. Special and general sponsorship opportunities are available. Contact Tammy Mermelstein, Care for Elders Program Director and Conference Chair, at 713-595-8178 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and sponsorship benefits. This conference is supported in part by the City of Houston acting as the Harris County Area on Aging and the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
Last Updated on 3/19/18